The Meaning Behind The Song: Take It on the Run by REO Speedwagon

As a Music Therapist, I often find myself exploring the deep emotional connections that music can foster. One song that has always resonated with me is “Take It on the Run” by REO Speedwagon. I first heard this song on a rainy evening many years ago, and it has since become a staple in my playlist. Its catchy melody and relatable lyrics have a way of transporting me back to a time when love and heartbreak intertwined.

“Take It on the Run” is a track off REO Speedwagon’s breakthrough album, “Hi Infidelity,” released in 1980. The song tells the story of a person who discovers that their partner has been unfaithful. Emotions of betrayal, hurt, and confusion are prevalent throughout the lyrics. The song’s chorus, “You take it on the run, baby, if that’s the way you want it, baby, then I don’t want you around,” captures the narrator’s decision to distance themselves from the painful situation.

The verses of the song highlight the rumors surrounding the infidelity, with lyrics like “Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from another.” This imagery of gossip spreading emphasizes the toxic effects that rumors can have on relationships. It also reflects the band members’ personal experiences with relationship problems during the album’s creation.

One of the reasons I was captivated when I first heard this song is its relatability. Whether or not we have experienced infidelity firsthand, most of us can empathize with the feelings of betrayal and heartbreak that the lyrics convey. The pain and emotional turmoil expressed in the song are universal, making it a powerful outlet for emotional release and connection.

“Take It on the Run” also holds historical significance in the music world. It was the ninth music video ever aired on MTV, shown on their first day of broadcasting on August 1, 1981. The popularity of the song and its message resonated with audiences, solidifying REO Speedwagon’s place in the rock music scene of the 1980s.

As a Music Therapist, I have witnessed the healing power of music and how it can provide comfort during challenging times. “Take It on the Run” is a song that has helped individuals process their own experiences of heartbreak and betrayal. By delving into the raw emotions expressed in the lyrics, individuals can validate their own feelings and find solace in knowing that they are not alone in their struggle.

Music has the ability to evoke memories, emotions, and connections like no other medium. “Take It on the Run” continues to be a powerful song for me and many others. Its timeless lyrics and catchy melody remind us that love can be both beautiful and difficult, and that music is always there to help us navigate the rocky road of relationships.

ncG1vNJzZminnJnBqrnEpqysoZNjsLC5jrBpaKyYmnquscCnoKefXZeyqbXNnWStoJViwLC6xmarmqOVYra1ec6nZK2glWK%2FtrqMm7BmqpWkerS8xJ6bsJmXpLtw